Welcome!

Welcome to the 37th parallel. We are an alien abduction site based in the fictional town of Brightwood Kansas. For more about the site please check out the links above to look through all our info or ask in the cbox. We hope you enjoy your stay!

Current Events!

Now accepting applications for Human abductees only

M Aug 21 - Eclipse Festival on Old Sky Ave

New Mini Profiles - Please Update your account info

Points Claim Now Available

Staff!

Stats!

Human: 19
Humanoid: 0
Hybrid: 0
Reptilian: 0
Grey: 0
Insectoid: 0
Other: 0
Mammalian: 0

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

[v] Hollow Windows, F Aug 18 Evening, (Melanie + Angelo + OPEN)
Melanie Hayes
 Posted: Aug 19 2017, 06:09 AM

Melanie Hayes

Teagan / Human / Members

The air was still. On a Night like this one, you could hear the stars as they moved through the sky, calling out to the poor schmucks toiling away in this dead end town. This particular night, one Melanie Hayes had gotten an anonymous phone call that suggested there might be a story to check out at the Crown Hill Motel.

She arrived on the scene hands steady despite her heavily beating heart. The door of her '05 Volkswagen Passat closed behind her with a louder click than she would have liked. There wasn't really a back side of the building to speak of, but she had parked as far away from the office as she could. Every precious second was a chance to find one more piece to the puzzle.

She took her time strolling through the parking lot. There were three cars out front, seemed slow, even for this little slice of nowhere. One in particular caught her attention though, a shiny new Mini Cooper parked next to the pool. That was a good sign, and so was the Horizon High School Parking tag in the windshield.

Her blue eyes twinkled in the twilight underscoring her restless excitement. If she played her cards right, she just might catch the sleazy gym teacher leaving the room. She glided into the lobby, and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear as she greeted the clerk coolly.

"Quiet out there tonight, isn't it?"

@Angelo Mayweather
PMEmail
^
Angelo Mayweather
 Posted: Aug 19 2017, 11:46 PM

Angelo Mayweather

/ / Members

Preferably, Angel would have liked to have taken his truck out somewhere in the hills with a couple of cold beers, play some guitar and watch the city below but tonight he had been called into work as the one of the other employees. So, he was at work, with Beauty and The Beast on. Belle was currently learning the furniture could talk and still, after all these years, it tickled his insides as they started singing and made magic happen.

There was a grin on his face as he started singing along, twirling a twizzler between his fingers, when the sound of the small lobby door jingled. He was automatically up but left the television on. Turning it down a little. He moved to the desk and gave a smile, because that's what you did when you were a clerk. Usually he'd be nervous with strangers, but both his jobs taught him how to handle it when he had to.

A young woman entered, and she regarded him in such a manner, he felt like shrinking a little. "Yeah, but it's nice out. Good night to watch the town from the hills," he said, still smiling. "Anyway, how can I help, ma'am? You need a room?"
PM
^
Melanie Hayes
 Posted: Aug 20 2017, 06:33 PM

Melanie Hayes

Teagan / Human / Members

She smiled sweetly at the man behind the counter, and her eyes flicked to the television set. Beauty and the Beast was one of her favorites growing up. What was there not to like, a shy bookworm of a heroine, magic talking furniture, and a ferocious antihero of a love interest. Too bad she was here on business, or she might ask if she could join him and just sit here all night enjoying the magic of Disney.

"Actually, I'm a reporter with the Nova Tribune," She flashed him her press badge. "I'm working on a puff piece about small town hospitality, and I was wondering if I could just pick your brain for a few minutes. It would really help me out." That was close enough to the truth, as much as she hoped she might find a whole lot more.
PMEmail
^
Angelo Mayweather
 Posted: Aug 21 2017, 12:30 AM

Angelo Mayweather

/ / Members

Why did he get the feeling she was lying? He wasn't born last Tuesday and he had never been a dimwitted fool, so he couldn't help thinking she was after something more than just small time news. Some section in the back of the paper or a small segment on the local news, that might never get published. Usually as he had learned, or what television and word of mouth had taught him; reporters wanted the big fries. Steak cut and season salted.

But he continued to regard her with a smile. It was best not to let the shark roaming around in salty sea waters that you were aware of it's presence and start swimming away before it had a chance to lose interest and go away on it's own. "Sure," he answered smoothly. "Ask whatever you want. Don't got much else to do, been a really slow night."

He wondered how such a pretty tiny thing could... well, it didn't matter. She'd probably get bored and wander off. He supposes like his pap used to say, it's always the tiny women you have to watch out for.
PM
^
Melanie Hayes
 Posted: Aug 21 2017, 10:36 PM

Melanie Hayes

Teagan / Human / Members

"Great!"

She pulled a small notebook out of the pocket of her cream colored trench coat and flipped it open on the counter. She prayed that it wasn't obvious how much effort she was putting into playing this cool. An eerie feeling that she was in over her head crept up her spine. Everything felt too still and too quiet. She tugged on her sleeve to straighten it out in an effort to ignore that feeling, but it didn't help.

"So, how long have you been working here at the Crown Hill? How do you like it here?"

Out of the corner of her eye, she thought she saw a maid pushing a cart across the balcony, but by the time she looked, there was no one there.
PMEmail
^
Angelo Mayweather
 Posted: Aug 22 2017, 04:31 PM

Angelo Mayweather

/ / Members

The tick of her pulling at her sleeve made him curious, the AC was on afterall and he even had his black hoodie on. He tried not to make it obvious that he was paying attention to detail, because he really wanted to know what this reporter's game was. He was trying to remember if he had ever seen her on the local news and what not but he couldn't place her face. He was pretty sure he'd know her face.

At her question, his bottom lip was pulled into his mouth and briefly chewed. Seemed like forever ago that he landed himself a job here. A lifetime even. "About five, six years. I think so at least. And I like it just fine. Pays nice, have a lot of downtime and I get to watch all the movies I want between customers. Honestly? I'll be sad when I have to put in my resignation."

He couldn't help the honesty, he'd be as honest as he could unless she started getting too personal or asking questions about the owner. Last thing he wanted was for his boss to end up in trouble and it'd be his fault.
PM
^
Melanie Hayes
 Posted: Aug 22 2017, 06:54 PM

Melanie Hayes

Teagan / Human / Members

Trying to ignore the flickering florescent lights, Melanie continued on with the conversation. If she just kept digging for a little while, surely something would turn up.

"Sounds like a pretty sweet deal," she grinned and propped her elbows on the counter. "Do you get man out of tow....." A blinding flash of white light outside the windows interrupted her train of thought. She stood blinking, straining to focus her attention back on the man behind the counter. About half a second later, a blood curdling scream echoed through the room.

Her eyes bugged out of her head as she rushed to the door. She paused for a moment and looked back to see the clerk's response to this situation before running out to investigate.
PMEmail
^
Angelo Mayweather
 Posted: Aug 23 2017, 06:48 PM

Angelo Mayweather

/ / Members

His eyes slowly drifted toward the lights as they buzzed in and out. "Sorry about the lights, they've been doing that a lot lately," he told her, frowning just a little. He still hadn't talked to his boss about that and he really should. Last thing they needed was the lights going out through out the whole motel, it wasn't necessary to think but it was bad for business.

He turned his eyes back on her, and noticed her grin was actually genuine. It made him grin back at her. "Yeah, it pretty much is." When she spoke next, he wasn't sure what she was about to say, and his question was forgotten once the lights flashed bright just outside. "What the hell...," he said, in confusion.

Bella screamed and his head whipped around. "Crap. That's the maid." He noted the young woman was moving toward the doors and he put up a sign that said: 'Clerk on break. Be back in fifteen.' He rushed around the side and out the side door as he followed behind the woman closely. Did she have a name? Stupid thouht. Everyone had a name, unless you were raised in a jungle by tigers.

He rushed past her and looked up. Bella's cleaning cart was on the top second floor. He rushed around the pool and up the flight of stairs quickly, taking two at a time and then down the walkway. Soon he found himself in front of the open door, Bella was standing over the other side of a queen bed, whatever she was looking at wasn't in view. "Bella? What's going on?"

Bella turned toward him, pale faced and shaking. She rushed over to him and threw her arms around him, and crap, she was full on earthquaking. "Hey. What's wrong? Come on." He reached up and smoothed a hand down her long brown hair.

"I...I... I came in and...," she mumbled, shaking her head, distraught.
PM
^
Melanie Hayes
 Posted: Aug 25 2017, 10:52 PM

Melanie Hayes

Teagan / Human / Members

The world seemed to spin as they raced across the asphalt. She strained to keep up, but the clerk passed her by easily enough. Stupid heels! She would never forgive herself if she lost her shot at a real story because of her choice in footwear. There was no way she could bound up the steps as quickly as he could, but all things considered, she wasn't too far behind when they made it to the second floor.

Aside from the pair of employees blocking to doorway, her position didn't exactly lend to a very telling view. As much sympathy as she felt, she was a reporter first and foremost. She pressed into the balls of her feet, trying to get a better look, but it was no use. The vaguely familiar scent of fresh blood wafted out of the open doorway, but she couldn’t see a damned thing.

The poor maid looked like her legs might give out from under her and reduce her to a pile of tears on the floor. ’Are you alright?’ she opened her mouth to ask, but the words stuck in her throat. Of course she wasn’t alright! What kind of stupid question was that! She didn’t know either of them well enough to reach out, but she just standing there staring at them like an idiot was killing her.

Her eyes wandered out over the parking lot where she saw the same three cars from when she pulled in. Two of them, she assumed belonged to the clerk and the maid, and the third, probably to whoever was in the room behind them. Her brow creased hard. What was that flash of light from before? It seemed to bright and too brief to be just a pair of headlights, but where else could it have come from?

Everything suddenly came screeching to a halt, and she finally found her voice again. “Did you see anyone leave this room?” she asked, her eyes locking in on the maid’s. "I know you're processing a lot right now, but it's important!" She was already pulling her phone out of her back pocket and punching in 911 waiting for an answer.
PMEmail
^
Angelo Mayweather
 Posted: Aug 30 2017, 08:28 PM

Angelo Mayweather

/ / Members

He heard it, muffled, low. A body..., he blinked once, twice and something flashed through his mind as he took a deep breath and exhaled. The young reporter was trying to get it out of Bella, and his arms were around the woman's body as she shook. Now, he was pretty sure he was beginning to shake too. "Bella...come on. What's wrong? What's in here?" His voice was calm, but his insides were quivering and he really, really didn't want to know rather or not her shaky mumblings were true.

"No, no...I saw no one," Bella said, voice shaky. "But...there's a ...there's..."

Angelo reached up and ran a hand through her soft hair. "Hey. Wait outside. We got this." He looked her square in the eye and hoped she saw safety there, something of it, and then she nodded and walked past him. She started to cry in the hallway.

He swallowed, walking past the reporter and toward the other side of the bed. He'd have to check who this room was registered to later. What he hoped he'd find was the body of a dead animal, because sometimes women were strange and saw animals as people, so usually that meant it warranted a panic attack. "It's...okay," he whispered to himself, as he closed his eyes tightly for just a moment and rounded the corner.

Except it wasn't okay. Because once he opened his eyes and looked, there was a body right there. At least...pieces of it. Arranged to look like some kind of psychotic science project. The limbs and torso were so pale, it looked like a new spin on a white crayon, and there was absolutely no blood. Everything was cut clean. He could see bone and muscle perfectly, unmarred. There was no head though, just a neck.

His stomach twisted painfully, and despite the lack of blood, his head conjured up images of his dead parents and just from that, he turned to the side, fell on his knees and started racheting up everything he ate earlier. He heaved, and he gagged, and his eyes closed against the onslaught. Soon as he was done, he wiped his mouth, just leaning against the blood and looked up over at the reporter. "Did you call 911?"
PM
^
Melanie Hayes
 Posted: Sep 16 2017, 06:00 PM

Melanie Hayes

Teagan / Human / Members

With the phone to her ear, Mel strode over to the bed and knelt down to examine the body.. or pieces of the body. She kept waiting for the stench of decay to overpower her, but there was no smell, no matter how close she got. She glanced up at Angelo retching in the corner and winced. She was too busy looking for any evidence the killer might have left behind to really process the scene before her, but she knew that most people didn't think the same way.

"Are you alright? she laid a hand lightly on his shoulder, nodding when he spoke.

"911, what's your emergency? the operator came on the line.

"Hello? yes, I'm calling to report a murder. We found a body at Crown Hill over on Silent Pines Parkway, in room...." she paused to look for the number on the door, "218"

"Okay, just stay on the line. I'm dispatching a team to your location now."

"Great, Thank you so much," Mel's stomach lurched as the reality of the situation started to settle in. Suddenly she felt very uncomfortable standing here, like she was intruding on a scene that was not meant for her eyes. She looked over at the maid standing out side of the door. "Do you have an extra towel or two we could throw over this?' she gestured to the pile of vomit in the floor, knowing that cops wouldn't want anything disturbed more than it already was.

@Angelo Mayweather @Dominic Garza
PMEmail
^
Angelo Mayweather
 Posted: Sep 22 2017, 11:17 AM

Angelo Mayweather

/ / Members

His muscles stung from the strain of throwing up, pain etched underneath his skin and stomach twisting unpleasantly but he would be okay. "Yeah...yeah, I'm fine. Just...not good with dead bodies," he answered honestly, wiping his mouth off with the back of his hand. Now that his dramatics were over, he felt embarrassed to have lost his cool like that. Men were supposed to be made of stronger stuff, but he guessed he wasn't any average man.

He stood up slowly, running a hand through his short cropped hair. "I'm sorry, Bella. I didn't mean to make a mess for you," he told her apologetically.

Bella gave a nervous smile. "It's okay, Angel. I'll go get those towels this nice young lady asked for." She disappeared around the corner and a few minutes later she returned with two large towels, and carefully laid them over the puke.

"Thank you," Angelo said, then turned toward the young woman. "I'm sorry about this. I'm sure you weren't expecting a murder but look at it this way, you're the first one on the scene of a crime. It'll do wonders for your career."

@Melanie Hayes
PM
^
Melanie Hayes
 Posted: Sep 30 2017, 11:46 PM

Melanie Hayes

Teagan / Human / Members

Mel let out a nervous chuckle, "Yeah, must be my lucky day," she muttered dryly thinking back to that anonymous tip that had led her here. Had they known this was going to happen? What if it was the murderer who had called her? and why would they call a rookie reporter and not the police? Her head was spinning with questions that had no answers. Whoever it was, there was no way to track them down with the information she had, so the best she could hope for was that they might reach out again.

She put the phone on speaker and laid in on the small table in the corner of the room, sinking into the chair next to it. She slid her hands, palm to palm between her thighs in an attempt to steady them. However this played out, her mere presence here was sure to implicate her. No doubt the caller knew that, and did this to set her up. As the gravity of the situation set in, she was beginning to question all of her life choices.

"What the hell did I walk into here?" she breathed, talking more to herself than anyone else.
PMEmail
^
Angelo Mayweather
 Posted: Oct 1 2017, 08:22 AM

Angelo Mayweather

/ / Members

Lucky wasn't the word he would use. Unfortunate and crazy was definitely up there instead. What was he supposed to tell the police? That he hadn't noticed someone in the room? Because he honestly didn't remember who he gave this room to and he was sure that would make him suspicious. It was the last thing he wanted. What was he supposed to tell his boss on top of this? Maybe he should stop watching movies while on the clock, because it was distracting him away from important details. But he'd be bored without something to watch and he'd probably drive himself crazy with only his thoughts for company. Wait. The sign in list, it would tell them who had rented this room. Good. Good. He might be saved from being an accomplice to murder or worse.

He sat on the edge of the bed, and heard what Melanie said. "I don't know, lady but I think we're all shooken up here. I'd suggest a round of alcohol but I don't drink. I'm sorry about all this. I should have been paying more attention. You two alright?"

Bella nodded. "I'll be fine. I'm more worried about the poor soul that died. That is not a painless way to go."

"Maybe they did it post mortem," he suggested, not wanting to look at the body and try to figure it out. It was too gruesome to keep looking at.

@Melanie Hayes
PM
^
Melanie Hayes
 Posted: Oct 11 2017, 08:57 PM

Melanie Hayes

Teagan / Human / Members

Melanie sat frozen, staring at the human jig saw puzzle that was laid out in front of them, letting the weight of the moment catch up with her. She nodded quietly when Angelo asked if she and the maid were alright, but tears started streaming down her cheeks uncontrollably.

Her laugh was strained and she almost choked on it when he mentioned drinking. She wasn’t much for alcohol either, but if ever there were a time for it. “Maybe tonight’s a good night for taking up new habits,” she joked.

“No, if anything, I came in and distracted you,” she certainly hoped that this wouldn’t affect the young man’s career. It wasn’t his fault after all. Her career on the other hand, would be doing just fine, if she could only get through the horrors before her. Her mind strayed to the police in route who would no doubt want to question her and the other “witnesses”, and her chest constricted at the thought. She had always been a good girl, so finding herself at the mercy of the law was entirely new and entirely terrifying.

“I’m so sorry, I had no idea,” she choked. well, that doesn’t make me sound guilty at all, she reflected, “I just took the call and followed the story.” People called in anonymous tips to the papers all the time though, right? What were they going to do to her when she couldn’t produce a name or a number for the only lead that seemed to be available? She was starting to feel dizzy and struggling to keep her breathing steady. She had never had a panic attack before, but she was fairly certain this might be what it would feel like. Her nails dug into the arm of the chair.

With absolutely no desire to embarrass herself in front of these people than she already had, she pushed herself up and staggered to the sink. Her legs felt like gelatin as she plunged her face into the cold water. She grabbed for the hand towel and shoved her face into it, praying that when she opened her eyes, this would all have been some terrible figment of her imagination. Of course it wasn’t, and she found herself staring at her new acquaintances once again.

After a long moment’s pause, she finally spoke, “Everything is going to be fine, right? None of us know anything, because none of us did anything, so we’re going to be fine.”

@Angelo Mayweather @Dominic Garza
PMEmail
^
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply
New Poll

♥ This skin was created by Tom Keen of Shine. The cbox toggle codes and code toggle codes were created by Nicole of Shine.

We do not claim rights to any images used. They are only here for inspiration. All other contents © to its creator.

This board and its setting are a work of fiction. Any similarity to the real world are entirely coincidental.

Affiliates [ View All | Link-us | Apply ]
Legends of Turall Ataraxy Our Heroes and Villains The Wall Moorland Manor Demiurge Journey to the Stars Pandora Abstract Reality Age of Heroes Where Dreams go to Die Fairest of them all Sufficient Unto the Day The Four Dimensions The Kingdom Sinsomnia Islands in the Sun All I Wish Mahalo 

RPG-D Shadowplay
Vector Rorupurei The Wicked Within

toggle cbox